Index...for not getting completelly lost! :)

Sunday 13 September 2015

Difficult to find, fantastic to see (and shoot)

This was one of the farthest mural I went to...I guess I walked more than 10 km for arriving there...the map that I had was great to give indications where you could find murals, but very poor in terms of real representation of distances and names of the minor roads...so I found myself searching for the murals in this area with no real map, no too many people around to whom I could ask and...well no real news, under the rain...

Today, when I was doing research on internet regarding this mural (also very poor information on-line...:( ).....I found out that I was actually wander around in the Ballymurphy area, famous for the massacre of the 9th of August 1971. When I said that now West Belfast is a much calmer area where it is possible to go...that it is....I am now shocked by thinking that in those quiet roads a civil war was happening 40 years ago....

Lenadoon Avenue, Ballymurphy, Belfast 2015

In this mural we find a mythological theme: the central figure of the mural is dying warrior CĂș Chulainn. The four circles represents the shields of four province of Ireland.
 
The mural commemorates the IRA members from local area who have been killed, whose portraits and names are reported.

left:
Tony Henderson: the first member of the I.R.A. 1st Battalion to die on active service in 1971 aged 21.
John Finucane, Tony Jordan: killed in a car crash in the Falls Road, Belfast, in 1972 while in active service for IRA.
Brendan O'Callaghan: shot dead by the British Army while in a car park in the Stewardstown area of Belfast, 1977.
Joseph (Joe) McDonnell: died in the 1981 hunger strike.
right:
Laura Crawford: died when a bomb that she was carrying exploded prematurely, 1975
Mairead Farrell: shot dead in Gibraltar by the English Special Air Service (SAS), in 1988. 
Patricia Black: died when an improvised explosive device she was carrying detonated prematurely near London, 1991.
Bridie Quinn: died in 1988.

The mural was first painted in 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment