Index...for not getting completelly lost! :)

Monday 28 December 2015

No drink please

Free alcohol zone, Belfast 2015
Ireland may be very famous for its beers, whiskies and other alcoholics...

And probably also for its drinkers..:).. and I was wondering what they have done to lead Ireland introducing free alcohol zones...

Then I searched in internet...and from various posts and forums (eg, from bbc) I found that the main problem was/is that of young people getting around in group, drunk, noisy and becoming violent...opsss...now that I remember this was the same problem in Glasgow 10 years ago...well, fortunately I have not met such kind of groups of young people during my stay in Belfast, I do not know if because of the areas where I was or because the free alcohol zones result really in safer places...

The reduction of underage and on-street drinking was in fact the aim of the introduction of the free alcohol zones. Anyone over the age of 18 caught by the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) drinking in a specified non-drinking area may be prosecuted and could face a fine of up to £500. Anyone under the age of 18 caught drinking will have their details passed on to the PSNI Youth Diversion Officer and have a letter sent to their parents.

If you look on the internet, there are also other cities that have applied this rule, both in UK and in the far Australia and New Zealand.

I am thinking now if a similar regulation would be applied in Rome, in area such as Trastevere or Campo dei Fiori...well, the last time that I was in Trastevere on Saturday night I did not feel very safe...so maybe..

Free alcohol zone, Belfast 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment